Textile Exchange is a global non-profit driving a positive impact on climate change across the fashion and textile industry. It guides a growing community of brands, manufacturers, and farmers towards more purposeful production from the very start of the supply chain.
By 2030, its goal is to guide the industry to achieve a 45% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions within fiber and raw material production. Its focus is holistic and interconnected, accelerating the adoption of practices that improve the state of our water, soil health, and biodiversity too.
For real change to happen, everyone needs a clear path to positive impact.
That’s why Textile Exchange believes that approachable, step-by-step instruction paired with collective action can change the system to make preferred materials and fibers an accessible default, mobilizing leaders through attainable strategies, proven solutions, and a driven community.
At Textile Exchange, materials matter. To learn more, visit TextileExchange.org.
Working at Textile Exchange
We work remotely with a team located in 20+ countries. We are a diverse group committed to harnessing the strengths of the global textile industry to accelerate change toward climate and other key environmental goals. We work collaboratively on important environmental issues around the world by working and interacting with farming groups, processors, brands, retailers, and environmental experts in the textile and fashion industries around the world.
We offer an opportunity to join a cutting-edge global environmental nonprofit and to help strengthen the impact of our organization. Each Textile Exchange employee is offered a competitive compensation package with paid time off, yearly bonus, opportunities for continuing education, and more.
Textile Exchange is hiring a Data Engineer to support the organization’s data ingestion/integration work including developing data model, maintaining data warehouse and analytics environment, and writing scripts for data ingestion / integration and analysis. The candidate will report to the Data Warehouse Manager and collaborate with the business users and the Data & Technology team to define requirements, mine and analyze data, integrate data from a variety of sources, and deploy data pipelines to support analytics needs. The candidate will also create automated reporting / data visualization based on the request of internal stakeholders.
To succeed in this role the candidate must have hands on experience with Microsoft Azure stack and possess strong technical skills on Azure data factory pipelines, MS SQL database and MS Power BI services and experience with API services.
Like all roles at Textile Exchange, the role will be home-based with some travel required. Candidates must be available to work across Asian, European and US time zones.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain and build on our MS SQL data warehouse on Azure, the home for various source data generated and received by the organization.
- Troubleshoot, debug, identify and correct problems related to the import of large volumes of data into Azure MS SQL database and MS Blob storage.
- Implement, test, deploy and maintain ADF data pipelines to ensure timely and accurate data flow between systems and cloud services including integrating new sources of data into our central data warehouse, and moving data out to applications.
- Produce scalable, replicable code and engineering solutions that help automate repetitive data management tasks, expand and optimize data and pipeline architecture.
- Build and maintain automated reports and data visualizations on Power BI, using data from the data warehouse and other sources to provide real-time insights to the business.
- Monitor the performance of data flow and data warehouse and address any performance issues that arise.
- Develop, test, and deploy python code on Azure technologies such as Azure Functions, Logic Apps.
- Design, develop and modify REST APIs using Azure API Management platform and develop REST API documentation.
- Collaborating with cross-functional teams such as business and data scientists to support data-driven projects.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent from a reputable university in Mathematics, Statistics, Data Science, Computer Science, or Information Technology.
- 3-6 Years of hand on experience on the Azure cloud services for API data ingestion, warehousing and data reporting.
- Experienced with MS Azure cloud technology services and MS SQL
- Strong experienced in managing Azure MS SQL databases and SQL Server with a focus on database performance, security, scalability, reliability, tuning for a complex production system.
- Experienced in advanced SQL concepts subqueries, stored procedures, indexing, triggers, views.
- Strong experience with ETL/ELT workflow and ADF pipelines, message queuing.
- Experienced in data mapping, extraction, transformation, loading and writing high performing code and maintaining it.
- Experienced with Dynamic Linked Service, Dataset using Parameters, Data flow, Global parameters, monitoring, pipeline debugging, workflow management in Azure Data Factory (ADF)
- Experienced in developing and maintaining reports on the data visualization Microsoft PowerBI Tool.
- Experienced of the programming language Python is required to troubleshoot and update code on Azure logical apps, azure functions, and API data validation.
- Experienced with Azure DevOps for source control, continuous integration, and continuous deployment
- Experienced working in Linux and Windows environments.
- Knowledge of Integration Platforms, including RESTful API integration and management and related technologies and protocols: JSON, HTTP/HTTPS, OAuth is required
- Excellent analytical skills – able to break down complex problems to implementable solutions with attention to detail.
- Excellent communication (written, oral and presentation) skills, including communicating technical issues and complex solutions to non-technical audiences.
- Able to work independently and have strong interpersonal skills to work effectively in a cross functional and diverse team.
- Reports to: Data Warehouse, Manager
- Full Time Position, 40 hours a week
- Location: Virtual / remote
- Salary Range: USD 45 – 55,000
- Textile Exchange is currently unable to provide sponsorship for work permits. Candidates need to have existing right to work in nominated working location.
- For Global Benefit packages (if applicable) please see FAQ: https://remote.com/preemployment-faq
How to Apply
Please submit here
- Cover Letter
If you have any pressing questions after completing your application, and meet the qualifications, please contact email@example.com.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis as they are submitted. Early application submission is strongly encouraged.
Textile Exchange is committed to creating a diverse environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.