We are challenging companies to review their current integrity strategies for products made with organic cotton or other sustainable materials, and begin working to move at least one step forward towards maximum integrity. “Taking the Challenge” means committing to take the next step, whatever it may be.
Beginners are categorized as companies who haven’t yet started certification
Next step: Commit to Certification
- Develop a plan
- Establish a timeline
- Assign a staff member, company resources to implement certification
Implementers are companies who have begun certification, but are still working out the details
Next Step: Implement Certification
- Establish internal systems to track certification
- Clearly communicate certification requirements to suppliers
- Train staff and suppliers on certification
- Collect and manage certificates: scope certificates from certified suppliers and TCs for product shipments
Advanced are companies who have set up their system of certification
Next Step: Complete Certification
- Require scope certificates from every supplier
- Require TC’s from the last point of production with every shipment
- Establish system to track, collect and manage certificates, information
How can Textile Exchange help?
Phase One – Baseline
- We’ll start by understanding how your company is using certification and the goals you would like certification to address.
Phase Two – Strategy
- We will collaborate with you to develop the best strategy for certification, one that fits in with your company’s overall strategy and values.
Phase Three – Action Plan
- We will work with your company to develop an action plan to put your strategy in place. The plan will include a commitment to move a step further along the integrity continuum, with target deadlines to achieve that step.
Phase Four – Monitor
- We will stay in contact with your company to track and support progress.
How can you join?
Initial Questions to understand where you are:
- Do you have an established system of verification?
- Do you have any company policies around certification?
- Do you have a target timeline to achieve certification?
- What voluntary standards are you using to ensure integrity of organic cotton, recycled fibers as well as other preferred fibers?
- Do you currently ask for scope certificates?
- Do you collect and manage transaction certificates for your products?
- Do you collect TC’s for each shipment?
- How far back in your supply chain do you collect transaction certificates for your products? Garment, fabric, yarn?
- Are you using a system to track and store information on certification?
- What have been the main reasons/roadblock for not integrating certification in your preferred fiber policy so far?
- Are you interested in moving forward in certification this year?
- What would you need in order to make this happen in your company and supply chain?