Sustainability Product Manager
Become part of the Converse Team
Converse is a place to explore potential, break barriers and push out the edges of what can be. The company looks for people who can grow, think, dream and create. Its culture thrives by embracing diversity and rewarding imagination. The brand seeks achievers, leaders and visionaries. At Converse, it’s about each person bringing skills and passion to a challenging and constantly evolving world to make things better as a team.
ABOUT OUR TEAM
The Converse Global Sustainability team is responsible for shaping and leading the enterprise sustainability strategy in partnership with Nike and cross functional partners. As part of Nike’s Move to Zero, we are focused on 11 specific 2025 targets centered on:
– Achieving foundational compliance at facilitates in our extended supply chain
– Reducing emissions in our facilities & vehicles, manufacturing & logistics operations and materials
– Reducing or diverting waste through improved design and supply chain efficiency
– Putting people first through health & safety, empowering women and improving working engagement at supplier facilities
– Improving water efficiency in textile dyeing and finishing
– Adopting clean chemistry alternatives for priority chemistries across our supply chain
This role will report to the Converse Global Sustainability Director and will work closely with many cross-functional teams, including Technology, Global Operations & Logistics, Global Sourcing & Manufacturing, Footwear, Apparel & Accessories Development, and Product Innovation.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
We’re looking for a Sustainability Manager with a demonstrated ability to lead and/or work on multi-functional teams and provide project management support. You will have a deep understanding of applied sustainability analytics, and experience in the valuation and definition of Key Performance Indicators and how to align with business goals. You have strategic problem-solving skills, along with excellent communication and cross-functional collaboration skills.
WHAT YOU WILL WORK ON
In this role, you will build and implement innovative and effective data and analytics solutions by implementing multi-functional projects that apply advanced analytic approaches in order to inform Converse’s sustainability strategy. You will bring deep technical expertise and understanding life cycle assessment and environmental impact assessment to the Global Operations team, providing data and insights to help product categories and broader Converse business partners make decisions to meet Converse’s ambitious sustainability targets.
In this capacity, you will help develop product sustainability metrics and identify data needed to support the measurement of progress. This will include more broadly helping to define the key sustainability attributes or criteria for product (i.e., what makes a product “sustainable”?) that is supported by data in our systems and ensure that metrics are presented in appropriate context by defining and leading insights, visualizations, report outs, and methodology. One of your core roles will be explaining and applying LCA-related environmental impacts to product, describing the main drivers of the environmental footprint, and providing recommendations to reduce impact in both footwear and apparel products.
You will also support the development of systems to measure progress of overall sustainability goals including Converse’s 2025 Targets for Carbon, Water, and Waste, and help us measure progress toward Nike Inc.’s 2030 Science-Based Targets. You will provide ad-hoc reporting and insights for internal strategy and external communication and establish and promote standard methodologies for reporting processes and data handling for external sustainability claims on products or materials. You will also help provide recommendations on communication vehicle and content – including communication to internal partners, consumers, and other external audiences.
WHAT YOU BRING
– Bachelor’s (or Graduate-preferred) degree in Engineering, Information Systems, Business, Environmental Sciences, Sustainability, or other relevant areas with understanding of supply chain and manufacturing sector – particularly in product development preferred
– 6-8 years professional experience in sustainability or environmental reporting/strategy
– Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) knowledge and/or sustainability impact assessment experience
– Carbon accounting experience and ability to translate raw data (e.g., energy, waste, materials) into sustainability metrics (e.g., CO2eq emissions)
– Demonstrated ability to think critically; strong problem-solving skills and analytical approach
– Change agent; ability to adapt and be flexible. Ability to lead multiple projects with challenging deadlines
– Able to influence and communicate effectively with team members and business partners
– Ability to seamlessly collaborate with engineering partners and build multi-functional alignment
– Motivated to seek information needed to fill data gaps by forging relationships, doing research, and tapping into internal and external databases
– Hands-on experience working with real-world advanced analytics challenges and leading multiple projects and partners in a fast moving, dynamic and matrixed team and business environment
– Experience in communication of environmental claims (e.g., Environmental Product Declarations (EPDs) and ISO standards)
– Experience with a variety of reporting and data visualization tools; Tableau, PowerBI and PowerPivot preferred. Proven track record building data visualizations and dashboards in a business context for a variety of stakeholders, from leadership-oriented summary dashboards to more granular and detailed analyses.
– Ability to manage multiple projects and details with competing deadlines
– Ability to make the complex simple for a diverse audience and tell stories with data
Converse requires all applicants for this position to be vaccinated for COVID-19 as a condition of hire, unless otherwise required by law. As an equal opportunity employer, Converse will make accommodations to individuals who cannot be vaccinated in accordance with applicable law.
Converse is more than a company; it’s a worldwide advocate for self-expression. This belief motivates our employees, permeates our working environment and inspires our products. No two of us look or think exactly alike. We are each one-of-a-kind. Individually and as a culture, we have the freedom to create and grow professionally. Generous benefits packages only sweeten the experience. From Boston to Shanghai, from Brand Design to Finance, Converse is a brand that celebrates the unique and creative people of the world. Together, we’re different.
Whether it’s transportation or financial health, we continually invest in our employees to help them achieve greatness — inside and outside of work. All who work here should be able to realize their full potential.