Sustainable Product Manager
Apply now Job no: 504652
Work type: Permanent Full Time
Location: VIC Metro
Categories: Corporate Affairs & Sustainability
Kmart Group (Kmart Australia and Target Australia) is a division of Wesfarmers Limited. As part of its sustainable development program and commitment to use natural resources responsibly, Kmart Group have worked tirelessly to develop and implement a sustainable materials strategy and roadmap. Now over five years into our sustainable development journey, we are considered one of the market leaders: Kmart was the first major retailer in Australia to reach its 100% sustainably sourced cotton commitment and was ranked equal 10th out of 250 of the world’s largest fashion brands in the 2021 Fashion Transparency Index.
Yet we know we still have much work to do. As such, we now plan to grow our team to include a dedicated Sustainable Product Manager as we seek to scale-up our impact and transition to an exciting new phase of product innovation drawing on circular economy principles and best practice.
Based in Melbourne at either the Kmart (Mulgrave) or Target (William’s Landing) head office, and with regular travel required between offices, this position will report into the Head of Sustainable Development, Kmart Group. Working in partnership with the Sustainability, Buying, Design, Fabric, Sourcing, Marketing Corporate Affairs functions, the Sustainable Product Manager is seen as the key subject matter expert on sustainable materials across the product life cycle – from farm, to factory, to customer – and is accountable for ensuring that public commitments are delivered on time and in a commercially viable way.
Key responsibilities of this role will include:
- Implementation and ongoing development of sustainable materials and product initiatives, including priority areas: cotton, polyester, cellulose, wool, leather, wood and paper
- Identifying and assessing new product and materials innovation opportunities and supporting design, buying and sourcing teams with delivery of circular economy initiatives
- Establishing and maintain materials traceability, verification, monitoring and reporting requirements and systems to ensure that all marketing claims are verifiable and in accordance with consumer law
- Building the capacity of team members and suppliers to meet our sustainable materials and product standards and requirements, through the development of training programs and resources
- Communicating, engaging and reporting progress to Kmart Group Head of Sustainable Development, Leadership, Wesfarmers, team members, customers and other stakeholders, and represent business at external events/conferences as required
- Working with marketing, PR and corporate communications teams to amplify sustainable product messaging and differentiate Kmart and Target as leading responsible retailers, and providing ongoing support in the development and review of related claims across all external channels including packaging, websites, catalogues, edms and social media.
To be successful in securing this role, ideally you will possess a strong degree of commercial acumen and a background in designing and implementing sustainable materials and product programs end-to-end in a retail or consumer goods environment. You will have a customer centric mindset and excel in stakeholder engagement and communication and influencing to drive change.
Other skills and experience would include:
- Bachelor’s degree in business, sustainability, or similar related discipline mandatory, combined ideally with a Master’s degree
- Experience with major sustainable materials programs and certifications (e.g., Better Cotton Initiative, Global Organic Textile Standard, Global Recycling Standard, Canopy, Forest Stewardship Council) strongly preferable
- Experience in research, analysis and formulating strategy, policy and standard operating procedures
- Experience in establishing supply chain traceability and chain of custody systems
- Experience in development of credible sustainability related claims and an understanding of consumer law
- Experience in working with marketing, PR and corporate communications teams to amplify sustainable product messaging
- Experience in circular economy or circular design principles highly regarded
- Experience in leading cross-functional, cross-national project teams. Those with international, cross-cultural experience considered highly favourable
- Experience in communicating and engaging with senior management and developing and delivering executive-level presentations and reports
- Experience in a buying or sourcing environment, with factory and farm-level experience highly regarded.
You will benefit from joining an amazing business and a dynamic team who are all committed to the success of Kmart and Target and providing our customers with a great shopping experience. Our values – Think Customer, Take Care, Live Integrity, Grow Together and Reach Higher will resonate with you deeply and you’ll enjoy being part of a growing, iconic Australian business that has a fantastic culture that is non-hierarchical, diverse and inclusive. Your work environment will be highly collaborative, fast-paced and progressive, with no two days the same!
You will be afforded a high level of responsibility and accountability in your role and have access to development opportunities across both Kmart, Target and the wider Wesfarmers Group, inclusion in employee bonus scheme & access to Wesfarmers share plan (both for eligible team members), free parking and benefits program including a discount card for Kmart, Target, Officeworks and Bunnings.
At Kmart Group we aim to ensure our teams reflect the diversity of the communities in which we operate.
Candidates interested in this position should apply directly to this advertisement as we are not accepting applications from recruitment agencies. International applicants with suitable experience that are willing to relocate to Melbourne will be considered.
Advertised: 18 Jan 2022 AUS Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: 18 Feb 2022 AUS Eastern Daylight Time