Who we are: Textile Exchange is a global non-profit working to help the fashion and textile industry transform fiber and material production by working with a robust membership of brands, retailers and suppliers to accelerate the use of preferred fibers across the global textile industry.
What we do: In short, we build a community that can collectively accomplish what no individual or company can do alone. We develop, manage, and promote a suite of leading industry standards, as well as collect and publish critical industry data and insights that enable brands and retailers to measure, manage, and track their use of preferred fiber and materials.
How we do it: With a robust membership representing leading brands, retailers, and suppliers, Textile Exchange is positively impacting the climate through accelerating the use of preferred fibers across the global textile industry.
Climate+: With our new Climate+ strategy, Textile Exchange is the driving force for urgent climate action on textile fiber and materials with a goal of 45% reduced CO2 emissions from textile fiber and material production by 2030. By benchmarking the industry and providing actionable tools for improvement, Textile Exchange is driving a race to the top.
Working at Textile Exchange: We work remotely with a team located in 20+ countries. Diverse group of advocates and activists committed to harnessing the strengths of the global textile industry to accelerate change toward climate and other key environmental goals. We work collaboratively on important environmental issues around the world by working and interacting with farming groups, brands, retailers, and environmental experts in the textile and fashion industries around the world. We offer an opportunity to join a cutting-edge global environmental nonprofit and to help strengthen the impact of our organization. Each TEam member is offered a competitive compensation package with paid time off, yearly bonus, opportunities for continuing education, and more.
We are looking for a Forestry Expert to support Textile Exchange in forestry based mapping efforts, strategy development, and stakeholder and partnership engagement, with the first priority being the man-made cellulosic fibers (MMCF).
Our new team member will be ready to take on a diversity of tasks from helping to set Textile Exchange’s overall direction of travel on forestry and forest based materials to advising our programs on land based fiber and materials, e.g. MMCF and leather, as well as on biodiversity.
This is a fantastic opportunity to work for a mission-driven organization. You will be a positive person interested in sustainability and passionate about scaling solutions to address the climate crisis. You will have a proven ability to remain flexible, proactive, resourceful and efficient, with a high level of professionalism. You will guide the organization with technical expertise, oversee overarching global content, engage in multi stakeholder processes, develop tools and resources, as well as provide expert-level communication and decision-making and direction for the organization.
Like all roles at Textile Exchange, this role will be primarily home-based; Textile Exchange is a US-based but remote-working organization with a global team. Your key colleagues will be based in the US and Europe, while key stakeholders are based in time zones between PST and CST.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Set the direction of travel for Textile Exchange’s forestry strategy in collaboration with the MMCF lead, the Fiber & Materials Director, and other relevant team members.
• Develop a strategy and program for lower carbon and climate friendly materials linked to forests, forest management and forest protection.
• Provide guidance and support for implementation of Textile Exchange´s Climate+ strategy – our goals on emission reduction, soil health, biodiversity and water – in relation to forests and forestry.
• Introduce and maintain relationships with key forestry stakeholders, including corporations, certification schemes, NGOs, R&D etc., both on regional as well as on global level.
• Be the organizational thought leader on foresty: Drive ambition to conservation and protection of the worlds forest and achieving our Climate+ goals.
• Provide technical expertise related to conservation and forestry, and policy, regulations, and cross-sector market opportunities.
• Identify cross-cutting gaps, opportunities, strategies to implement forestry based industry commitments and potential impact data sources.
• Provide guidance on verification systems and auditing schemes related to forests and forest protection, including nature based solutions.
• Work across horizontal and vertical platforms to ensure that information flows between core activities (standards, benchmarking (CFMB), reports, communications, data, etc.). Identify pathways and monitor correlation of forestry and deforestation across MMCF, leather and other materials like natural rubber.
SPECIFIC MMCF ROLES
• Co-Create and inform the development of a White Paper for adoption of climate friendly MMCF.
• Align strategy with the relevant MMCF 2030 Vision components.
• Explore the evolution of the MMCF Producer Transparency Questionnaire and Dashboard
• Engage with brands on creation and implementation of fiber strategy, and establish a preferred MMCF fiber challenge.
• Communication and web content development workstreams.
• Identify and manage strategic stakeholders and partners.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
· Relevant experience and expertise related to frorestry and forest protection.
· Track record of working with forest/forestry industry/forest protection and a broad range of global stakeholders.
· Solid understanding of forest schemes, standards, verification systems.
· Interested and passionate about addressing climate change.
· Team player, resourceful, eager to learn and able to work independently in a virtual workplace.
· Highly attentive to detail with strong organizational and analytical skills.
· Excellent communication, written, and grammatical skills in English (Native or bilingual proficiency).
· Equipped with excellent computer skills including Microsoft. Excel, PowerPoint, and Word and the ability to quickly learn new systems.
The position is 20 hours a week (50%).
Annual Salary Range: $33,000 – $38,000 USD( Dependent on Experience)
To be filled as soon as possible (start date to be agreed between both parties).
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit to mmcfroundtable@textileexchange with the subject Forestry Expert and your last name.
2. Cover Letter
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis as they are submitted. Early application submission is strongly encouraged.