Textile Exchange Team
Senior Advisory Team
- Ashley GillSenior Manager of Industry IntegrityAustin, Texas, USAAshley GillSenior Manager of Industry Integrity
Ashley Gill has been with Textile Exchange since 2010. She works in the Industry Integrity TEam to develop and manage the Textile Exchange-owned standards and to align the industry in issues dealing with verification of product claims related to sustainability. Ashley leads the International Working Groups for the recycled standards (RCS and GRS) and the Responsible Down Standard. She is responsible for Textile Exchange’s Standard Setting Policies, and she also does key outreach to support companies in their understanding and adoption of the standards.
- Anne GillespieDirector of Industry IntegrityChelsea, QuebecAnne GillespieDirector of Industry Integrity
Anne is the Director of Industry Integrity for Textile Exchange. She has worked on standard development, training and education on certification and transparency and is collaborating with other organizations and experts to continually increase the organic integrity of the cotton industry. She has over 15 years of experience working with retail, including 10 years as a product manager at Mountain Equipment Co-op where she converted their cotton program to organic. In 2005, she co-founded Continuum Textiles, a sales agency representing socially and environmentally responsible textile products.
- Sevilla GrangerProject and Program StrategistSan Francisco, California, USASevilla GrangerProject and Program StrategistSevilla Granger has worked extensively in various aspects of the sustainable textile and creative fields in the US and Europe and has served on various international working groups such as the Sustainable Textiles Coalition and the Responsible Wool, Down and Leather Working Groups. Her commitment to sustainable textiles sprang from her undergraduate work at North Carolina State University, well known for its Textile program, where she received her degree in Environmental Design with a minor in Textiles. Her professional engagement with advancing sustainability in the industry gained traction during her work at William Sonoma and Gap, Inc. It was further refined with leading US home textile brand Coyuchi, where she lead the team to be the first GOTS certified home textiles brand, as well as achieving Fair Trade certification.
- Céleste LiloreDirector of Industry EngagementNew YorkCéleste LiloreDirector of Industry Engagement
I’m an insatiably curious lifelong learner and a whirling dervish hula hoop phenom. I’m passionate about community, partnership, provenance, ethics, and timeless style. Through stories, I delight in making the complex simple. There’s nothing I like better than connecting in person, good old-fashioned “teeth and eyes time.”
My first job (not including babysitting and waitressing) was as the receptionist at Chanel HQ in Paris. It ignited my love affair with both product and fashion while elevating my commitment to service.
Since then, I’ve been….
- Marketing and Community Director and Entrepreneur in Residence, Brooklyn Fashion + Design Accelerator
- Entrepreneur-in-Residence, Brooklyn Fashion + Design Accelerator
- Regional Director, Green Festival –New York
- Co-Founder and EcoPreneur, RESTORE Clothing
- Co-Founder, NOCHAIRS, Inc.
- Founding Member, Save The Garment Center
- La Rhea PepperManaging DirectorLander, Wyoming, USALa Rhea PepperManaging Director
La Rhea has an extensive background in the organic cotton agricultural sector as well as management and marketing. She is a 5th generation cotton farmer in Texas and her farm has been certified organic since 1991. She completed her BS in Education at Abilene Christian University in 1979 and Master of Business – Organizational Leadership in 2016. La Rhea was one of the co-founders of Organic Exchange and served as Chair of the Board until 2005 and then joined the Management TEam with the Exchange.
- Evonne TanData Management & China Strategy DirectorPetaling Jaya, MalaysiaEvonne TanData Management & China Strategy Director
Evonne spent the past 20 years improving data and reporting for companies around the world. From a manufacturing background, she moved on to consultancy with PwC and IBM, project management with Wessex Water before settling into the sustainability sector with CSR Consultancy. A graphic designer on the side, Evonne is passionate about data visualization and using data to tell a story.
Evonne started working with Textile Exchange in 2009, leading on data collection, analytics, reporting and consumer engagement. Currently, the Director of Data Management and China Strategy, Evonne holds two different portfolios in the company: one that focuses on creating value from data for textile sustainability and another to promote sustainable fiber and materials growth in the Chinese market.
- Liesl TruscottEuropean & Materials Strategy DirectorBath, United KingdomLiesl TruscottEuropean & Materials Strategy Director
Liesl Truscott is European and Materials Strategy Director with responsibility for developing and embedding Textile Exchange’s preferred materials program. Liesl has specialized in organic cotton and has a deep knowledge of the sector. With a first class degree in Environmental Management from the University of Newcastle in Australia, she has spent over twenty years in the fields of corporate social responsibility, occupational health and safety, and environmental management – working in both the private and public sector.
- Lee TylerSenior Manager of Standards AssuranceArlington, Texas, USALee TylerSenior Manager of Standards Assurance
Lee has been with Textile Exchange since 2008 and is primarily responsible for the consistent application of Textile Exchange standards by certified sites and certification bodies. This includes creating and maintaining an accreditation process, coordinating working groups, as well as providing guidance on the standards. He is also directly involved in the development and revision of standards and their supporting documentation. Additionally, Lee supports the financial and operational aspects of Textile Exchange. He holds a Master’s in Entrepreneurship, a Bachelor’s in Management, and a minor in Spanish from Texas Tech University.
- Donna WorleyDirector of Marketing Communications & Public RelationsLubbock, Texas, USA
Donna leads Textile Exchange’s Marketing Communications team to ensure all focus areas within the organization receive a high level of visibility through innovative strategies involving internal and external communication, branding, marketing and public relations. In addition to this, Donna is also responsible for the oversight of Textile Exchange’s global events to create greater visibility for Textile Exchange and to provide a space for industry engagement. Prior to joining Textile Exchange, Donna worked in Development and Public Relations for a higher education institution from which she earned a Bachelor’s degree in Organizational Leadership.
- Ryan YoungChief Operating OfficerSan Francisco, CARyan YoungChief Operating Officer
At Textile Exchange, Ryan focuses on strategy and operations as well as program development. For strategy and operations, he ensures that Textile Exchange’s work is well-aligned, well-coordinated, and focused on achieving Textile Exchange’s mission and long term goals. For program development, Ryan drives projects that support and enable Textile Exchange’s strategy and platforms. Prior to joining Textile Exchange, Ryan led the development of the Higg Index 1.0 and 2.0 at the Sustainable Apparel Coalition. He has also consulted on sustainability to leading apparel brands and retailers, as well as to sustainability-related mutli-stakeholder organizations. Ryan started his sustainability career at Blu Skye Sustainability Consulting in 2008; prior to this, he developed a strong track record in general strategy and management consulting. Ryan has a B.A. in economics from Cornell University, and an M.B.A. in strategic management and marketing from the University of Chicago Booth School of Business.
- Lisa BarsleyMaterials Platform ManagerLondon, United KingdomLisa BarsleyMaterials Platform Manager
Lisa joined Textile Exchange in 2014. As Materials Platform Manager, Lisa supports the delivery of Textile Exchange’s Materials Strategy, including the production of Textile Exchange’s annual market reports and coordination of the Organic Cotton Round Table, amongst other responsibilities. Lisa has a BSc in International Development from the University of East Anglia and joined Textile Exchange after an internship with the UK’s Soil Association researching organic cotton and food security.
- Phil BettanyGraphic DesignerLondon, United KingdomPhil BettanyGraphic DesignerPhil started working with Textile Exchange in 2018, providing graphic design support for several key publications, namely the Organic Cotton and Preferred Fiber & Materials Market Reports, and the Corporate Fiber & Materials Benchmark. Phil joined the Textile Exchange team full time in January 2019, working under the Marketing Communications Director. Phil provides graphic design, creative and website support to the team, acting as the guardian of the Textile Exchange brand, and encouraging high standards of presentation across all aspects of the organisation’s communication. Phil holds a Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design from Kingston University, London, and previously worked at the sustainable fashion consultancy MADE-BY between 2010 and 2018.
- Taylor BittenbenderMembership CoordinatorNew York City, New York, USATaylor BittenbenderMembership Coordinator
Taylor joined Textile Exchange first as a membership assistant in February of 2018. Since then she has worked with the membership team to execute a new customer relationship management software. In August of 2018, Taylor joined the Textile Exchange team full time as Membership Coordinator. Taylor works on enhancing membership value for current and potential members of Textile Exchange. As well, Taylor is the project manager for launching a community membership platform and assisting with the Home & Hospitality and China Strategy Working Groups. She has a Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Studies from the University of Colorado at Boulder and was previously working in retail operations at Rag & Bone.
- Val ColdenAssurance ManagerToronto, Ontario, CanadaVal ColdenAssurance Manager
Val joined Textile Exchange as an expert in auditing and supply chain certification with nearly 15 years’ experience. She entered the certification world as an intern at the Forest Stewardship Council, before working with Rainforest Alliance’s certification division. At Rainforest Alliance, she developed extensive experience in auditing and certification body systems, primarily focused on the forestry, wood and paper sectors. Val then worked for Control Union, where she audited companies and standards in the forestry, textile, bioenergy and food sectors, including RDS/CCS audits.
- Hanna DenesSenior Manager of StandardsBath, United KingdomHanna DenesSenior Manager of Standards
Originally from Sweden but living in the UK, Hanna Denes has been with Textile Exchange since 2010. Hanna works as a Sustainability Specialist focusing on Integrity and Materials. Hanna has a Batchelor’s degree in Environmental Policy and an MSc in Environmental Technology from Imperial College, London, and 15 years’ experience working in environmental management and sustainable development.
- Alice Dos SantosOrganic Cotton Program CoordinatorAlice Dos SantosOrganic Cotton Program Coordinator
Alice Dos Santos is supporting Textile Exchange’s Materials Platform Team since May 2018. She first joined Textile Exchange in 2013 for an internship in Peru during her Bachelor and participated in the Organic Cotton Round Tables in Istanbul (2013) and Hamburg (2016). She holds a MSc from Wageningen University in development and rural innovation with a minor in agroecology. During her bachelor, she first studied agriculture sciences in France and then gained knowledge in sustainable value chain management in Wageningen. Actively seeking to help farmers and rural community to become more resilience, she has been working in the fields of organic agriculture, innovative food systems and rural development for local projects in Switzerland but also at European and international level.
- Trini GantnerProject ManagerOakland, CaliforniaTrini GantnerProject Manager
- Skype: trinigantner
Trini joined Textile Exchange in 2019 to lead the initial review process of the six gifted standards. Over the past couple of years, Trini played a key role in the development of fair trade standards across multiple product categories. She is an ambitious and resourceful self-starter with a diverse background and experience in project management, standards development, sustainability, research, multi-stakeholder engagement, process implementation and optimization. The apparel and textile space has always carried a special place in her heart and she is eager to co-create its future.
Trini is inspired by the great outdoors and dreams to one of these days explore the United States on horseback. Her happy place is out on trail with family, on horseback, or in the boxing gym. A dual citizen of both Germany and the United States, Trini currently resides in Oakland, CA. She holds a BS and MS in sociology from the Johannes Gutenberg University in Mainz, Germany.
- Amish GosaiSouth Asia ManagerBangalore, Karnataka, IndiaAmish GosaiSouth Asia Manager
With a Bachelor degree in Engineering with major of Textile Technology from India and MBA in Luxury Goods and Fashion Industries from Paris, France. Amish has held various positions with Voltas, Decathlon & Agorcel Industries Ltd in India and in France. He also has work experience in textiles, sustainable agriculture and retail industry. Core strengths include sustainable sourcing of textile products & supply chain, social auditing at factories & farms, traceability tools, and quality auditing. Amish also has a large working knowledge in sustainable cotton (BCI, Organic, Recycle, Natural Color Cotton, Khaadi) sector. He has planned and managed various projects in India, France and other countries including the initiative for Natural Color Cotton, Recycle cotton and PET project, Organic (cotton & food), Fair Trade and BCI.
My ideology is to “Think Sustainable, save the world and help humanity.”
- Terry HydeSystems ManagerLander, Wyoming, USA
Terry has previously worked at Dow Corning Wright as an Executive Administrative Assistant and for State Farm where she serviced current customer accounts and generated leads for new prospects. She joined Textile Exchange in October 2012 as an Executive Assistant. She provides Board, SAT, Platform Task Forces and HR Support as well as assisting Membership and Fund Development. She is a vital member of the Conference Team and handles registration for the event. Terry also publishes the “Textile Exchange Times” monthly newsletter and is coordinating the Textile Exchange effort to put systems and standard operating procedures in place.
- Rose JohnsonCommunication CoordinatorLubbock, TX, USARose JohnsonCommunication Coordinator
Rose Johnson joined Textile Exchange in May 2019 as the Communication Coordinator. She provides support to the Marketing Communications TEam, and is responsible for coordinating email communications, data protection compliance, event support, and general customer service. Rose has over 20 years’ experience in administrative healthcare, teaching higher education and professional development, and general management.
- Nicole LambertData AnalystFranceNicole LambertData Analyst
Nicole is working primarily with the Fiber and Materials group, focusing on the annual PFM benchmark and data analysis. Nicole’s background is in environmental health and toxicology and has been working with environmental and health problematics related to industrial emissions and the use of chemicals in goods for 10 years, advising both the private and public sectors.
- Rita LuppinoCommunications and Marketing ManagerTucson, AZRita LuppinoCommunications and Marketing Manager
Rita has over a decade of experience in corporate responsibility, global communications and stakeholder engagement with Fortune 100 brands, non-profits and NGOs. She has a strong understanding of sustainability in the apparel supply chain and brings hands-on experience working with US organic cotton farms and overseas textile mills and manufacturing facilities. Rita curates Textile Exchange's global Textile Sustainability Conference and manages our communications platforms. Rita received a Masters of Science in Urban Policy Analysis and Management from The New School in New York City in 2011 and a BA in Communications from Pace University in New York. When she’s not working to positively impact the world for present and future generations, Rita enjoys gardening, photography, hiking and traveling.
- Sophia OpperskalskiStrategy & Research SupportBerlin, GermanySophia OpperskalskiStrategy & Research Support
Sophia Opperskalski has almost 10 years of experience in sustainability and textiles. At Textile Exchange, she is part of the fiber and materials team. She supports the development of the market reports and the Preferred Fiber and Materials Benchmark program, amongst other responsibilities. Before joining Textile Exchange, Sophia worked for BSD Consulting where she was involved in projects on sustainability reporting, rankings and strategy. Prior to that, she has developed a B2B online platform to support designers and fashion brands in sourcing sustainable fabrics and was engaged in various further projects related to sustainability and textiles. Sophia is based in Berlin, Germany, and has a M.Sc. in Integrated Natural Resource Management from the Humboldt University in Berlin.
- Stefanie PokorskiIntegrity & Standards CoordinatorOttawa, CanadaStefanie PokorskiIntegrity & Standards Coordinator
Stefanie’s background includes working in communications and graphic design, primarily with non-profit organizations based in the U.S. and abroad. As Integrity and Standards Coordinator at Textile Exchange, she provides support to the Integrity and Standards team through website management, communications, design, administrative support, and more. Originally from the U.S., Stefanie is currently based in Ottawa, Canada.
- Simone SeislSpecial ProjectsFreiburg, GermanySimone SeislSpecial Projects
Simone studied design and textile engineering in Austria and went for a career in the global fashion and sporting goods industry, held various positions in design, product management, marketing and buying departments, also at the headquarter of adidas. In 2008 she decided to only focus on sustainability topics within the industry, first working as a consultant at the Dutch NGO Made-by, then as head of marketing and sales at Remei AG in Switzerland. She has expertise in leading CR initiatives on brand level, in supply chain transformation and integrity, product innovation and best-practise marketing and communication. Based in Freiburg, Germany, she currently works as a consultant for individual as well as multi-stakeholder projects.
- Callie WeldonStandards CoordinatorBoulder, Colorado, USACallie WeldonStandards Coordinator
Callie Weldon has 10 years of experience studying and working with sustainable textiles. At Textile Exchange, she is part of the Integrity Team and acts as Standards Coordinator to support the revisions process, stakeholder management, and standard benchmarking. Before joining Textile Exchange, Callie worked for EarthHero as the Sustainable Sourcing Manager for the Clothing and Accessories category. Callie is also the founder of Fair Fiber, a social start-up dedicated to creating economic mobility opportunities for small farmers in the Peruvian alpaca fiber industry. Callie holds a B.S. in Fashion Merchandising from the University of Delaware and an MBA in Global, Social, and Sustainable Enterprises from Colorado State University. She is based in Boulder, Colorado.
- Sharon WhitleyFinancial AdministratorLamesa, Texas, USASharon WhitleyFinancial Administrator
Sharon is knowledgeable in QuickBooks accounting, Peachtree accounting, and Excel programs. Her job for Textile Exchange is primarily bookkeeping - maintaining the accounting records, payroll, preparation of quarterly tax reports, bank accounts and preparations for the yearly audit. Sharon has been involved with organic cotton since 1996 when she started with Organic Essentials, working in all areas for the business. In 2002, she became general manager of Organic Essentials and held that position until the company sold in 2006. As general manager, her job was mainly day-to-day operations. Sharon has been the Financial Administrator for Textile Exchange since 2006.
- Amber YoungFinancial & Program CoordinatorLander, Wyoming, USAAmber YoungFinancial & Program Coordinator
Amber joined Textile Exchange in 2014 as the Financial & Program Coordinator. She has experience in multiple industries including retail, hospitality, farming and real estate. She has assisted start-ups and worked with all aspects of small businesses. Amber graduated in 2001 from Wyoming University with a Bachelor of Science degree with a major in Finance and a Minor in Economics.
- Carlotta CataldiSpecial ProjectsBarcelona, SpainCarlotta CataldiSpecial Projects
Carlotta has a Master´s degree in Strategic Leadership towards Sustainability obtained at the Blekinge Institute of Technology of Karlskrona, Sweden. While writing her thesis on Slow Fashion, she acquired different skills and became a professional graphic recorder and a group facilitator. Passionate about spreading awareness and knowledgeable about the best practices in the fashion industry, she also works as an educator in her community and collaborates with companies to help them identify the most efficient and rewarding path towards sustainability.
- Brent CrosslandGlobal Cotton Sustainability Advisor, Crossland ConsultingValencia, California, USABrent CrosslandGlobal Cotton Sustainability Advisor, Crossland Consulting
Brent Crossland is the past Head of Fiber Development for Bayer and is based in Valencia, California, U.S.A. He is an independent cotton sustainability consultant and Ambassador for The Textile Exchange.
Brent has worked in the plant science industry for the past 37 years with experience in crop protection, product development and launch, seed production and the global textile supply chain. He has held past positions with academia, independent consulting, product development and research and sales and marketing in the cotton industry.
Brent was instrumental in the development of the global Certified FiberMax traceability program. He also developed and managed the e3 Sustainable Cotton Initiative. A very well-known expert on the cotton supply chain, Brent has presented globally on sustainable initiatives to many world cotton organizations. He is a past recipient of the Bayer CropScience Luminary award for distinguished achievement and the “You Can’t Pick Better” award for initiatives in the cotton seed business. In addition, Brent was also awarded the Vice Chancellor’s Award for Excellence from Texas A&M University.
Brent holds a Bachelor of Science Degree from Texas A&M University and a Master’s of Agriculture degree in Plant Science from West Texas A&M University.
- Atila ErtemAmbassador - Turkey, Egypt and Central AsiaIzmir, TurkeyAtila ErtemAmbassador - Turkey, Egypt and Central Asia
Atilla has been an Organic Pioneer in Turkey since 1986 and started growing organic cotton in 1989. Since then he has been somewhere in organic cotton & textile as consultant, buyer, and project expert in SEA. Atiala’s path crossed with TE in 2010 and he has been trying to help in the Turkish organic cotton & textile sector on behalf of Textile Exchange as country ambassador.
- Sandra MarquardtAmbassador, North AmericaSandra MarquardtAmbassador, North America
Sandra Marquardt is the president of On the Mark Public Relations, which provides communications, advocacy, and research services on behalf of the organic and sustainable fiber and food sectors. Marquardt also is a special projects consultant to Textile Exchange and secretary of the Organic Trade Association’s (OTA) Fiber Council. Formerly, Marquardt was the Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) representative in North America, serving to promote and protect the standard. She also developed and coordinated M+R Organics, a division of M+R Strategic Services focusing on organic fiber communications. Previously, she worked with the OTA and several leading environmental and organic organizations on domestic and international pesticide use policy.
- Silvio MoraesAmbassador Latin AmericaPort Alegre, BrazilSilvio MoraesAmbassador Latin America
Silvio studied agronomy at the Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, acquiring a master's degree in soil science and microbiology. Still in college, he met the pioneer ecologist José Lutzenberger, with whom he began his professional career and has developed numerous projects in the field of sustainability. For over 25 years he develops consulting and audit activities for organic farming projects and environmental management systems for various companies in Latin America.
- Silvère TovignanAmbassador AfricaAbomey-Calavi, BeninSilvère TovignanAmbassador Africa
Silvère has been the Regional Director in Africa since 2006. Before joining Textile Exchange, he completed his PhD at Giessen University in Germany where he wrote a dissertation on “Gender perspectives in the adoption of organic cotton in Benin: a farm household modeling approach.” In Benin, he has been involved in many socioeconomic research programs tackling issues related to small scale farmers’ income and well-being. He joined OBEPAB (a Beninese NGO promoting organic farming) a member organization of the worldwide Pesticide Action Network (PAN) in 1998 where, for 4 years, he coordinated an information and training program on organic farming.
- Valentina ZarewAmbassador, Australia & New ZealandSydney, AustraliaValentina ZarewAmbassador, Australia & New Zealand
A creative entrepreneur with a career background in consumer behavior, marketing communications and sustainability, Valentina is focused on creating collaboration within the industry in the aim of igniting innovation for positive social and environmental change. Her work with Textile Exchange as the local ambassador is focused on industry engagement, education and international collaboration to foster positive transformation within the textile supply chain.