The 2017 Organic Cotton Market Report provides the most up-to-date data on organic cotton fiber production.
Key findings in the report include:
• Total production for the 18 countries growing organic cotton in 2015-16 was 107,980 MT of organic fiber (4% decrease from last year), with India representing a slimmer majority than ever before (a decline in share from 67% to 56%).
• China ranks second, holding a 14% share of total production.
• Growth in Central Asia continues with Kyrgyzstan reporting 7,981 MT organic cotton fiber (44%), and Tajikistan 6,620 MT organic cotton fiber (562%) placing the country third in the production rankings.
• A 15 per cent increase for the Texas Organic Cotton Market Co-op (TOCMC).
• Research shows that 80 per cent of OBEPAB farmers in Benin are experiencing yields higher than the average organic yield for the country, and in Tanzania, yields have doubled for bioRe farmers.